Monday, May 24, 2010

Spaghetti Dinner inspired by Julie/Julia Project

Let's get this straight right off the bat. I'm definitely not a chef. I wouldn't even characterize myself as a cook. I can bake some nice cookies and I can even make a mean chocolate cheesecake, but that's where it stops. I'm the type of person who likes to dance to the beat of her own drum. (Although I really can't dance either.)

So when I was in school I took all the Tech Ed classes with the boys instead of Home Economics. I wanted to work with tools and make things with my hands. I had no interest in standing in front of a stove and waiting for something to brown. I loved working with a robot, wiring a wall, making a windchime and even putting together a rocket. I had a great time routering the edge of my pig shaped cutting board. Although the teacher did put his hands over the top of mine. I guess he thought a girl couldn't handle that tool. Boy, was he wrong! Some of my current tools include a soldering iron, grinder, vise, drill press, tile saw, kiln and wet belt sander. You should see the glass fly when I'm working.

Well, back to the subject of cooking. I loved watching the movie "Julie and Julia". Although I don't have a love of cooking, like the Julie character in that movie, I wanted to make some meals from scratch and see how well they could come out. I figured I could document my process and people could either share in my joy of a job well done or laugh at my complete and utter failure. I should clarify that "by scratch" I mean not a meal from a box. I probably will take a few shortcuts, but the overall goal is to cook something that isn't a "just add chicken/meat" meal.

Tonight I attempted to make my own marinara sauce. I found a recipe online that was inspired by a woman's visit to the Olive Garden. Well, the Olive Garden is my most favorite restaurant. My husband even proposed to me at one, but that's another story. So I'm reading through the recipe to make sure I have all the ingredients when I see that I have to saute onions. Is it lame that I had to google "how to saute onions" to figure it out? This should give you a clue of how little I know when it comes to cooking.

Here is the recipe I used.

Marinara Sauce Recipe #58246

A trip to the Olive Garden inspired me to create this recipe. This is a quick, easy and versatile Marinara Sauce with a delicious fresh taste. Serve over cooked spaghetti, ravioli or other pasta; sprinkle with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Or chill and serve as a salsa with garlic bread sticks or tostitos. by BeachGirl

35 min | 5 min prep

SERVES 6

  1. In a saucepan, saute the onions, but do not let them brown.
  2. To the saucepan, add the liquid drained from the diced tomatoes. Add the basil, Italian seasonings, sugar (or sugar substitute) and crushed red peppers. Simmer liquid and spices for about 30 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
  3. Add the diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes and cook just until heated, about 1 minute.
  4. If you prefer, you can used whole tomatoes and dice them, saving any tomato liquid for Step 2.

I think the sauce turned out wonderfully. I skipped adding the red pepper flakes this time, but I might add them the next time I make this recipe. My husband was very happy with the meal as well. While I was cooking the sauce he took one look at it and said, "I'm actually excited about eating spaghetti for once." I'm an italian girl at heart and could probably eat pasta most days so my husband is probably a little tired of it. We also had breadsticks with the meal, but I have to admit that they were not from scratch. I basically just warmed them in the oven. After my husband cleaned his plate he said that this sauce was WAY better than anything you could buy in the store. What a compliment for a girl who didn't even know how to saute onions. So my first attempt at making a meal from scratch was a SUCCESS!



Ingredients


Saute the onions



Added herbs and liquid from tomato



Pasta


Crushed and diced tomatoes added



Yummy Breadsticks



Bon Appetit!

10 comments:

  1. When are you cooking that for Dad and I?? Can't wait. Isn't cooking a meal fun. Especially when your husband gives you such a great compliment.
    I always told you, "If you can read, you can do anything"!!

    Love ya Mom

    We are never to old to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to give this recipe a try. My hubby doesn't like red sauces, but I could always freeze small portions for myself! I'm enjoying your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel pretty silly for being so proud of my accomplishment, but this is so far from my comfort zone in the kitchen. I couldn't help feeling excited about making something that actually tasted really good.

    Thanks for the compliment Debbie. I'm having so much fun writing for the new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to make this! I love to try new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! Good for you for trying something new!

    When I was first married (years and years ago) my husband was asked what my favorite food was. He answered spaghetti. I, confused, said "what??" He replied, "well you make it all the time". ha ha ha that's because its EASY! of course I use a jar sauce... It's still a once a week thing in my house..maybe I'll try your recipe some day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. don't feel silly for feeling proud...

    I recently started baking cakes having not done so I was a child with my Mum...and I love it - and show them off to everyone lol!

    love your style of writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...yummy! Now I'm hungry! Thanks a lot...kidding. :) I hated to cook until my son was born with massive food allergies. It took a few years for me to like it. I am quite jealous that you got to take all the shop-type classes with the boys! Sigh...my mom *flipped* when I asked to take wood shop in junior high. Needless to say, I was shipped of to home ec in a heartbeat by my mother. Sigh... I did get to take drafting in high school though...I was one of only three girls in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really is the best to eat fresh food isn't it? It does take some time but it isn't too hard for a girl who can manage a soldering iron!
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the comments everyone! I loved writing short stories in school so writing for this blog has been a ton of fun. I hope you'll keep reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. Tray of Holding

    ReplyDelete